Friday, June 6, 2014

Friends, Chosen to Be ~

Friendship, is not by chance....

Of course my mind is on the family of our sweet Debi who has gone on to glory !

Our old neighbors had moved away...the house was for sale.
So much curiosity as to who would fill the space across the street...
Of course we were hoping they would have kids, playmates, friends!!


As life would have it, 
Mom, Dad and three kids, 
Debi, DeDe and Joe.
Below is a photo of them with their wonderful Mom, Herminda.


As my memory would have it we became fast friends,
and spent much of our free time together in the hood :-)
We grew up together, watched each other go on to graduate, 
move away, marry and become parents ourselves.

Their beautiful Mom became such and inspiration to me as what someone
who walks the talk of their faith looks like.
I watched how under the worst of circumstances when she fully trusted God with it all.
Her faith oozes from her pours...
So when you think others aren't watching how you do things....they are!

Debi had this faith as well ....she knew where she was headed and it gave her peace.

I read the quote below today, and it just seem to fit,
 as I am thinking of the 
family that filled that space.
Our friends....

~

“In friendship...we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years' difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another...the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting--any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you," can truly say to every group of Christian friends, "Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another." The friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.”
C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves


We are chosen for one another, its what echos from my heart today...

4 comments:

  1. Friendships are so dear, aren't they? ... I love my best friend 7 years to cancer & I still miss her so dearly. I cherish her family as my own. God puts people in our lives for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this post! I've observed that some people just don't have friends that they've kept for a lifetime. I have my best friend from elementary school and we are still together all the time. She's one of my greatest gifts on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I truly believe also that we are chosen for each other.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met my best friend on the first day of Kindergarten. We double dated together, got married, raised our kids, were bowling and golfing partners--we lived only 3 miles apart. My kids called her aunt, her kids still call me aunt. She passed March 28, 2012 and it devastated me. The very best Christian we can be is to lead by example--don't you think?

    ReplyDelete